In 2003, a fad known by the name of “Movember” was created by the Movember Foundation in Australia. The goal of Movember is for men (and some women) to grow a huge mustache in honor of men’s reproductive health.
Since 2003, the tradition has grown into a worldwide phenomenon. Although the foundation’s roots are Aussie, mustaches have been grown in New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada, Spain and the United States. In fact, a few US celebrities have even participated in the men’s health campaign, including Brody Jenner, Kevin Connolly and Mark Foster.
The rules of Movember, which were originally set in 2003, still hold for the competition today:
1. Start Movember 1st with a completely clean-shaven face.
2. Grow a mustache for the entire month. No trimming, no tweezing and definitely no shaving!
3. Do not join your mustache with your sideburns – That’s a beard!
4. Do not join your mustache with your chin hair – That’s a goatee!
5. The final (and most important rule): Act like a true gentleman.
The Movember Foundation runs the event, and can be found at Movember.com.